GLUTEN FREE APPLE PIE RECIPE


I since I've been gluten free there are a lot of foods I miss. Pie is one of those things that I have missed. I've made attempts to make a decent gluten free pie and nothing ever came out the way I wanted it to. But this apple pie I recently made came out well. So of course I had to share. It's not a quick process but it's fairly easy and the ingredients are accessible.

RECIPE 

Pie Crust:

2 3/4 Cups Gluten Free Flour
1 3/4 Tablespoons Ground Cinnamon 
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg 
1/8 Teaspoon All Spice
2 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Butter (cold and cubed)
3/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt          2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
1/4 Cup Cold Buttermilk 
1 Egg

Egg Wash

1 Egg
1 Teaspoon Buttermilk 
1 Teaspoon Olive Oil

Filling:

7 Apples (cubed or thinly sliced)
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinammon 
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar

Egg Wash:

Mix 1 Egg and a teaspoon of buttermilk

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine flour, cinnamon, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add cold butter aand cold coconut oil to the mixture. You can put them in a food process and mix until dough is crumbly. You also do it by hand using a pastry cutter to blend the ingredients. I used my kitchenaid stand mixer on low and mixed the ingredients until the butter and coconut oil was malleable enough to continue by hand. I used a fork too. Be careful not to overmix the dough.

Once you get a crumbly consistency roll the dough into two discs. Wrap them in cling wrap and refrigerate. I kept them in the fridge for an hour. You can refrigerate them for up to four hours until you have to roll the dough.

2. Combine the apples, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and brown sugar on low heat. Cook until mixture is lightly caramelized. Add lemon juice. Then add corn starch. I added a teaspoon o water to my cornstarch to liquefy it a bit before I poured it into the mixture. I did this so the cornstarch wouldn't get lumpy in the filling. Be sure not to over cook the apples. They should be tender but not mushy. Set aside to cool once the mixture is cooked.

3. Remove the pie discs from the fridge and roll out the two discs. The amount of flour used in this recipe is just enough for a 9 inch pie pan. Place one of the rolled out dough crusts into a greased 9 inch pan. Poke holes in the dough with a fork. I para baked the empty pie shell for 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven. You can leave it for up to 12 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

Before putting the empty pie shell in the oven I places a round parchment paper over the pie crust. I filled it with chick peas as a weight. You can use bean or any pie weights you have.

Remove pie crust from the oven. Let it cool for a few minutes. Then remove the pie weights from your pie crust.

4. Fill the empty pie crust with your pie filling. Place the left over rolled out dough to cover the pie filling. Fold the upper crust over to cover the pie properly. You can shape the edges however you like.  I used cookie cutters for the top crust. Cover your top crust with your egg wash.

5. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. I placed a tent around my pie edges so they wouldn't get too crispy. Place the assembled pie into the pre-heated oven and bake for 40 - 50 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts