MADAME C.J. WALKER 1905 T-SHIRT

Shout out to an icon the first self made female (black or white) millionaire in America. She made her fortune creating and marketing hair care products for black women in America. She's wrongfully cited for inventing the hot comb. But she and her associate, Annie Turnbo Malone popularized it among black women in the 1900s. 
Growing up my beautiful mother quietly taught me that nothing was wrong with my hair. She did this by refusing to relax our hair. Instead she would occasionally hot comb it if it needed to be straightened. I grew up wanting hair like Rudy Huxtables, I still want hair like Rudy's to be honest.
But eventually, I went to school and was exposed to the worst mentality when it came to my type of hair. At thirteen I begged my mom for a relaxer, I could write pages about some of the disgusting things I have heard about our hair. But I won't focus my energy there.
I'm grateful I had a great foundation to instill pride and a sense of self. I'm also so grateful that my daughter will grow up to see women and girls in media and in real life who happily embrace their curly, kinky or textured tresses. Thank heavens!
I got this cool shirt from a friend's Etsy Store. Search balbert3 on Instagram and you'll find other tees.

Comments

Popular Posts